If you’re new to essential oils, it can seem overwhelming. There is so much to learn, and you’re bound to learn a few things the hard way. (Like when I first got Oregano and put it on a pimple neat. It worked really well, but I never read the label to know I should have diluted it first. I didn’t have any reaction, but it sure felt hot!) So let us keep you from making some of the same mistakes we did by reading some of our favorite DOs and DON’Ts to get you started.
- Read your bottle labels! Each label lists the ingredients and how to use safely.
- Lots of your own research! There is so much to learn, so get some resources, read lots of things in the member resources of your virtual office, etc. It’s time to take charge of your health on your own.
- Ask your uplines questions. That’s exactly what we are here for! We can help direct you to great resources, books, websites, studies, classes to attend, and more to help you.
- Host a class. These oils are amazing and there are so many people who still know nothing about them. Having an upline teach a class for you is a great way to share them with friends and family who could also benefit from essential oils. Also, if the cost is a concern a class is a great option to help earn back your investment in the starter kit. For each new member who orders a Premium Starter Kit at your class, Young Living will send you a $50 thank you check! Read more in our “3 and FREE” post.
- Find some fun DIY recipes to replace common items. Pinterest is flooded with DIY recipes and we even post some of our favorites on our blog. We have been able to replace lip balm, deodorant, bug repellant, and much more with cheaper and healthier versions made with our Young Living essential oils!
- Signup for Essential Rewards! To get your Young Living products for the best value learn more about ER. Reduced shipping, exclusive kit pricing, monthly promotions, and earning points back toward free products are some perks of this monthly order program. Learn more in our post all about Essential Rewards.
- Get a reference guide and use it. Life Science Publishers & Amazon both sell some great ones!
- Share your oily love with others. Have a testimonial or someone asking what that smell is? Share! You could change a life by just casually talking to your friends and family about what you are experiencing and learning.
- Test new oils topically on a small, discrete area before using over large areas of your body. Some of us have more sensitive skin, may be allergic to citrus, or could have a detox effect when using oils topically. So test carefully first to see how your skin reacts to the new oil.
- Dilute “hot” oils. Each label will specifically tell you how much to dilute the oil for aromatic, topical, and/or internal use. Specifically make sure to dilute hot/spicy oils such as Thieves, oregano, lemongrass, peppermint, and more.
- Attend Young Living events. We have a great community in the oily world. If you are local to our area there are monthly events to help you share the Premium Starter Kit with friends, learn more about new products, learn about business building, and more. Contact your uplines or check our Events Tab to learn about upcoming opportunities.
- Start diffusing with the recommended 6-12 drops. If you are new to therapeutic grade essential oils, you will soon learn just how potent they are. We found that it is helpful to start with 2-4 drops of essential oil in your diffuser and then you can increase as you learn how much you prefer for your home.
- Put essential oils in ears, eyes, or other sensitive mucus membrane areas. (avoid oils getting in these areas!)
- Flush eyes or wash off oils with water. If you experience a skin sensitivity or get an oil in your eye never rinse with water. Oil and water do not mix and will only push the oil in deeper and faster. Instead opt for a carrier oil such as olive oil, coconut oil, or V-6 Complex to slow the absorption.
- Be afraid to use your kit. When your kit comes in the mail it can be intimidating and people will let it sit in the box unsure of where to start. The oils will do no good sitting in the box, so do some research and start trying one oil a week to see what you like.
- Put on “neat” after a bath or shower. When you take a bath/shower your skin pores open up. This means that the oils will absorb more quickly, so a carrier oil is helpful to slow the absorption so you don’t experience any skin sensitivity.
- Believe everything you read on the internet or hear from others. There are lots of viewpoints out there and lots of information that is not backed by research of quality oils. If you ever question something you learn compare it to the Young Living literature, your reference guide, and look into what is backing up the information. There is a lot of “bad” research out their on oils.
- Use in a bath without epsom salts. Baths are a great way to use your essential oils, but oil and water don’t mix so they will sit on top of the water if added by themselves. We like to mix our essential oils with epsom salts before adding to bath water to help them evenly disperse through the water.
This is just scratching the surface, but a great intro list of things to consider when beginning your essential oil journey. Essential oils are very powerful and should be used responsibly. Welcome to the oily lifestyle!